The gourmet industry is one of the thriving businesses that is growing and has potential to expand. Interestingly, the genesis of food service started as public eateries with no fancy décor or flamboyance. Street vendors, taverns and inns were there in ancient Rome, but the concept of the restaurant came into existence during 1760’s in Paris.
As mentioned in the book, Food: A Culinary History by Jean-Louis Flandrin, the first restaurants served meat-based soups intended to restore a person’s health quite apt to the word restaurateur which means to restore, from where the word restaurant is derived.
Today restaurants have evolved to a great extent from its inception. There are various types of restaurants offering the customer special cuisine and experience. Describing a place as a Fast food outlet, café, bistro or fine dining restaurant would only be a superficial description of the place.
What is a Fine Dining Restaurant?
A fine dining restaurant is an upscale restaurant offering the best of food, wine, atmosphere and service. The special menu is often curtailed to serve dishes that are unique to the restaurant or the local place. This type of restaurant creates a special ambience with exquisite furnishings, subtle lighting and classic glass or chinaware. Though a restaurant should be known for the food but a fine dining one offers a whole gamut of experience beyond the gastronomical satisfaction. Fine dining is all about attention to detail, and hence the staff is equipped to answer questions about the ingredient of served dishes and wine or make adjustments as per request. The service given to the customer goes beyond taking an order and serving food.
What makes these restaurants special?
In 2016, Osteria Francescana was placed first among all the fine dining restaurants in the world. Situated in Modena, Italy, the restaurant is a perfect amalgamation of contemporary art with traditional cuisine. The restaurant is an ideal example of the top-notch fine dining restaurant with simple yet classic interior decoration and delectable food. Even though expensive, fine dining restaurants are popular among people with the experience they offer. Frequented by the niche class or on special occasions by others, thus there is a code conduct to be followed in these restaurants. The atmosphere is mostly quiet except for light jazz or some instrumental music playing in the background. These places call for the customers to reserve the table in advance. In general, a popular fine dining restaurant is run by the popular chef, and the dishes will be his or adaptation of the recipe.
So, when visiting a fine dining restaurant, you may want to keep few things in mind:
- A formal attire would be suitable but nothing extravagant or over the top.
- Do not place your keys, wallet or phone on the table that will spoil the table décor.
- Be careful to maintain your conversation in a low tone. Do not yell or get in a debate
- Do ask for assistance to choose the wine. The restaurants have servers well informed to give you best wine options that will pair with the food.
- Avoid taking selfies or photographs at the table. It will be distracting for other customers.
- Do not blow on hot food. Wait for it to cool down and take small bites.
- Read or try to familiarize yourself with the culture of the place when you are visiting a restaurant in a different country.
- Behave courteously with the servers and do not make gestures or call out loud. In most of the countries, it is considered rude.
- Fine dining restaurants offer exotic food. Hence. If not familiar, avoid being adventurous.
- Lastly, leave a generous tip behind to appreciate their effort.
As the word suggests, fine dining is about having the best experience. So, take your time to relax your senses while you enjoy the food.