This is one distinction we can do without. India is often known as the diabetes capital of India. Despite the tons of medical warnings and research, we have still not managed to control its near-epidemic proportions. Yet, known as a lifestyle disease, it can be controlled and managed to some extent. Diabetes can slowly effect the whole body, making it weaker from within. So, it is essential that we learn to manage it.
Part of the management is, of course, the right drugs from pharma franchise companies. But the other equally important part is the management of the disease. People with family history of diabetes should be particularly diligent about following a diabetic aware lifestyle. Here are some tips that every diabetes patient (including at-risk individuals) can follow:
Start by understanding the disease. There are three types of diabetes.
- Gestation Diabetes – Sometimes diabetes can occur during pregnancy. Usually, the diabetes also dissipates after the birth of the child. However, the mother and the child have a higher chance of developing diabetes later on.
- Type 1 Diabetes – Here the patient’s body does not make insulin. This is hormone that allows your body to absorb sugar from the food and store it. It regulates the blood sugar levels in our body. Type 1 diabetes patients, hence, must tale insulin everyday.
- Type 2 Diabetes – This is a more commonly found type. Here the body does make insulin, but the body does not use it properly. Consequently, the blood sugar builds up. This is a lifelong disease and has to be controlled with medication. Diabetic drugs from pharma franchise companies are essential for managing diabetes.
Apart from reading up on diabetes, you must also start looking for the right medical care. Ask around your network for a reliable diabetic program and doctor. Apart from an endocrinologist, you may also need to refer to a dentist, dietitian, eye doctor and foot doctor. Diabetics often suffer form tooth, eye or foot problems, which needs specialist attention. Diabetics are also required to follow a very strict desire to regulate their sugar intake.
You can also start looking for support groups for diabetics. These groups can offer great resources for various requirements and help you connect with the best caregivers in your city. But above all, learn to take diabetics seriously.
What To Look For
Although Type 1 diabetes patients will start showing symptoms, in Type 2 diabetes, the symptoms are very mind. Lack of energy, hunger, dry mouth, increased thirst and frequent peeing are some of the symptoms. Other symptoms include occurrence of yeast infection, sudden weight loss and slow healing of sores.
Are You At Risk?
Since it is usually pretty hard to judge the onset of diabetes, it is important to know if you are at risk of developing the disease. Risk factors in Type 1 diabetes are family history, a disease of the pancreas or an infection. Risk factors for Type 2 are:
- Family history
- Gestational diabetes
- Insulin resistance
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Impaired glucose tolerance
Must Read: A Customized Type 2 Diabetes Diet For You!
Coping With Diabetes
Diabetes is a lifelong condition and must be managed properly. With the right lifestyle and care, one can lead a healthy life. Some important tips here are:
- Take medication by pharma franchise companies as per your doctor’s prescription regularly. Medicines for other health problems should also be approved by your doctor.
- Follow proper dental hygiene with regular brushing and flossing.
- Check your feet for sores, cuts and blisters. Call a diabetic doctor if you see a persistent sore.
- Stop smoking.
- Keep a diligent track of your blood sugar. Ask your doctor about how frequently you need to do this.
- Meet a dietician for a meal plan. The diabetic meal plan is very important in controlling the sugar and carbs in your diet. Needless to say, all sugar must be avoided, including sweetened fruit juice and sweets. Eat whole grains with a lot of fruits and vegetables. Protein like chicken and meat should be lean.
- Follow a strict exercise regime. You can go for a walk, do yoga or workout at the gym.
- Meet your doctor regularly and keep meticulous record of your diabetic care.
Diabetes is a lifestyle disease. Following an active lifestyle with good eating habits (plus low intake of sugar) can help at risk patients to avoid or delay it. With the right medication from pharma franchise companies and the right care, we can defeat this morbid disease.